This is an example of the letter you will receive from RoadSafetyBC in the event that you serve the punishment for a 90-day IRP, a 90-day ADP or are are convicted of a criminal drunk driving offence in British Columbia. The letter is called the Notice to Refer to Remedial Programs.
Notice to Refer to Remedial Programs
February 27, 2015
Driver’s License # XXXXX
Jane Q. Driver
88 Lucky Lane
Victoria BC, V8J 6W2
Your attached driving record indicates you were: (punished with an 90-day IRP, 90-day ADP and/or convicted of a criminal drunk driving charge.)
Under section 25.1 of the Motor Vehicle Act (the Act), the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles has the authority to refer you to remedial programs. Under section 117 of the Act, I have been delegated the authority to review your driving record to determine if remediation is required.
I have reviewed your driving record, and based on the event(s) noted above I have determined that it is unsatisfactory. Therefore, I find that it is in the public interest for you to participate in both that Responsible Driver Program (RDP) and the Ignition Interlock Program (IIP). The RDP will provide you with information, education, and counseling, to assist you in making safer driving decisions which effectively separate the act and effects of consuming alcohol from the act of driving. The IIP prevents a driver who has consumed alcohol from starting a motor vehicle. This intervention supports you by fostering safer driving behavior, and protects other road users.
Responsible Driver Program:
As a result for this referral, you are required to participate in the RDP. To do so you must:
1. Register for the program within 45 days of the date of this letter. (Your RDP registration form is attached). If you do not register within this timeframe any BC driver’s license that you may hold will be cancelled without further notice and you will not be eligible to re-license until you register
2. Undergo an initial assessment which will determine which stream of the RDP is appropriate for you; and
3. Complete the RDP to the satisfaction of the Superintendent within 12 months of the date of your registration in the program.
If you do not complete the RDP within this timeframe, any BC driver’s license you may hold will be cancelled without further notice and will remain cancelled until you have completed the program.
Ignition Interlock Program:
As a result of this referral, you must participate in the IIP for 12 months. To do so you must:
1. Register for the RDP;
2. Finish serving any and all driving prohibitions or license suspensions;
3. Having an ignition interlock device installed on any vehicle you will be driving; and
4. Obtain an interlock-restricted driver’s license by attending an ICBC Driver Licensing Office with your ignition interlock installation certificate and two pieces of identification. For a list of acceptable ID see: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/visit-dl-office/Pages/Accepted-ID.aspx
There can be delays in obtaining an appointment to have the interlock device installed in your vehicle. Therefore, you should contact Alcolock Canada Inc to arrange for an installation appointment as soon as you are able to apply for your interlock-restricted driver’s license. You are responsible for any delay in having the device installed. Any time spent without a valid interlock restricted driver’s license and a functioning interlock device installed in your vehicle will not count towards your interlock term. You are responsible for all costs associated with the interlock device from the day it is installed in your vehicle.
Attached to this letter is a step-by-step guide to completing the RDP and the IIP. The guide provides contact information should you have further questions regarding these programs. Please read this document carefully. This referral does not affect any other license cancellation, license suspension, driving prohibition or any outstanding licensing requirements.
You may apply to RoadSafteyBC for a reconsideration of the decision to refer you to the RDP and/or the IIP. If you apply for reconsideration you must:
- Complete an Application for Reconsideration (available on the RoadSafetyBC website at http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/osmv/disputes/#remedial, or at an ICBC Driver Licensing Office);
- Attach to your Application for Reconsideration any evidence and submissions that you wish the Superintendent to consider; and
- Mail or fax the Application for Reconsideration including the application form and written submission to:
PO BOX 9254 STN PROV GOVT
VICTORIA BC V8W 9J2
Facsimile: (250) 953-8639
You must ensure that all of the relevant information that you wish the Superintendent to consider is included with your application. You will be notified in writing once your referral to remedial programs has been assessed and a decision is made.
A reconsideration application submitted within 30 days of the date of this letter will result in a stay of your RDP and/or IIP requirement until the reconsideration is concluded. This means that, while the reconsideration is being conducted, you will not be required to register for the RDP and/or the IIP. Your request for reconsideration of a remedial referral does not alter or affect any other referral, license cancellation, license suspension or prohibition from driving.
If your submission is made after 30 days, your requirement to participate in the RDP and the IIP will not be stayed during the reconsideration process. This means that you will be required to register for the RDP and have an interlock device installed in your vehicle as a condition of keeping your driver’s license and/or regaining your driving privileges during the reconsideration process.