Vancouver Criminal Law


Vancouver: 604 685 8889
Richmond: 604 370 3050
Surrey: 604 593 8580
Victoria: 250 384 0100
Nanaimo: 250 754 9558
Kelowna: 250 860 2766
Kamloops: 250 372 3448
Fort McMurray: 780 750 7588
Prince George: 250 564 8835



Copyright 2018 Acumen Law Corporation.
All Rights Reserved.

Call 24 Hrs

604 685 8889

Call Us For Free Consultation




Immigration Law

Immigration Law

Whether you’re applying to simply visit Canada, to live here for work or studies, or wanting to immigrate to Canada as a permanent resident, it is good to have an immigration lawyer on your side to help you navigate the complexities of Immigration Law. At Acumen Law Corporation, we have the knowledge and commitment to potentially make the process easier with the aim of increasing your chances at a successful application.

Call 250-384-0100 now for a free consultation.

If you choose Acumen Law Corporation, we are prepared to:

  • Keep tabs on your application – We can get updates for you, and even get you ready for an interview if necessary!
  • Deliver your documents – When the visa is ready to be issued, we make sure you receive it, and will explain any information relevant to your arrival in Canada.
  • Liaise with Immigration officials – We will liaise with any immigration officials on your behalf in a timely fashion
  • Perfect your application package – Applications, with few exceptions, are usually prepared by you, but perfected by our office to ensure that immigration authorities have everything they need to review your package properly and in a timely fashion!

Student Visas

Helping you prepare your application, and obtain a student Visa.



We will assist with your application to the specific Canadian Province or Territory that will work for your type of investment, or purchase of an existing business. We will assist with your application to the specific Canadian Province or Territory that will work for your type of investment, or purchase of an existing business.


Permanent Residency

A permanent resident is simply someone who has immigrated to Canada. If you are approved for immigration, whether it’s through the spousal sponsorship or as an immigrant investor, you will be issued a permanent resident visa.

What this means is that you are allowed to live in Canada and will have some of the rights of Canadian citizens, but not all. You may obtain benefits such as health care coverage, can work live and study in Canada, and may eventually apply for Canadian citizenship. However, you will not be able to vote or run for political office, and may be restricted in the types of jobs you can apply for.

However, it is possible to lose your permanent resident status. This can happen if you fail to meet residency obligations, which includes requirements that over every five-year period, you must spend two years in living in Canada.

In some cases, a removal order may be made against you and cause you lose your permanent residency status. In other cases, an adjudicator may determine you are no longer a permanent resident after an inquiry or appeal. Consider contacting an immigration lawyer to learn more about what you can do if you lose your permanent residency status in Canada.


Family sponsorship

We can determine if you can sponsor your relative, or be sponsored by a relative living in Canada. When you want to unite with a loved one who lives outside the country, it is up to you to sign an undertaking promising financial support for the person you are sponsoring. You may end up being responsible for the finances of this person for three to 10 years.

To sponsor someone, you need to be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident living in Canada. You may not sponsor someone if you are on social assistance, though there is an exception for those who are on disability assistance. You must also prove you have enough income to cover the finances of those you are sponsoring, and any of their dependants.

Once you have completed your application, there may be additional steps and documents you must complete. One of these steps includes a mandatory medical examination for your family members. Once everything is set up, you will be able to check on the application process through Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s online portal.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada seeking to sponsor a close family member but had the application refused, you may be able to appeal to the Immigration Appeal Division of the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.



There are many reasons you may be denied a visa to enter Canada. The government assesses potential visitors to Canada for many things. Some of these seem obvious, for example your visa application may be rejected for reason of criminal inadmissibility. Other reasons are less obvious. For example, you may be denied a visa because of financial reasons – if the government believes you would be unable to support yourself or your family in Canada.

Criminal inadmissibility is different from other denied visas due to an element of crime. An assessment of your admissibility may depend on whether the crime you’ve been convicted of outside the country has a Canadian equivalent. If the offence you have been convicted of outside the country does not have a Canadian equivalent, you may have a good chance of overcoming criminal inadmissibility.

If you are found to be inadmissible anyway, you may be asked to appear at an immigration inadmissibility hearing. It may be helpful if you have a lawyer who can represent you at the hearing. There are ways to overcome criminal inadmissibility, including through Temporary Resident Permits, Rehabilitation and Record Suspensions.


Canada Express Entry

Helping you achieve your immigration goals through the Express Entry system.



We are prepared to take your appeal in the following instances: Removal Orders, Sponsorship Refusals, Medical Refusals, Criminality, Inadequate financial arrangements for settlement, Failure by entrepreneurs to meet terms and conditions, Failure by a Permanent Resident to meet the residency obligations set out in section 28(2) IRPA).

Call us at 604-685-8889 for a free consultation and learn how we can successfully help you.

Contact us now

free consultation

Full Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Phone (required)

How can we help? (required)

Immigration Law was last modified: by